Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July!

America!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since about 1/3 of our office is American... we decided to do something special and celebrate Fourth of July at work today. Now of course nothing can replace picnicking with friends and family, the heat of the summer, and the fireworks of home but I'm glad I was able to celebrate one of my favorite holidays in some way.  This is the first time I have been out of the country for the 4th of July. I will say that being out of the U.S. makes me take much more pride in my country.

Elaine, a fellow short term intern organized a Fourth of July office party over lunch.  People brought in foods that reminded them of the U.S. This included KFC, rice krispy treats, and my contribution... peanut butter and jelly! We listened to an American playlist populated with a wide spectrum of artists ranging from John Mellencamp to Jay-Z. We played a game of catch-phrase and charades which was full of words like Barack Obama, Britney Spears, and Washington D.C. Co-workers were dressed in red, white, and blue... some of us even had out U.S. soccer jerseys on :)  Someone even brought in face paint... it just feels like the 4th when there is a face paint station!

The fun filled lunch hour came to the end with an office singing of the star-spangled banner.... followed by the South Africans singing their national anthem which includes 4 languages (Zulu, Xhosa, Akrikaans, and English)!

I truly enjoyed being able to share one of my favorite American traditions with my South African co-workers... and take a minute out of the day to celebrate friends, family, and America!

Our Fourth of July spread... with every South African's favorite... KFC!

I personally think the most ingenious dish was the Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches! What says America more than that!  It was also my dish :) hehe

Yummy Rice Krispy Treats

Happy Birthday America!!!


Playing Catch Phrase and Charades!

Laughing hysterically during the game... my team was called the "Winners" (my idea for the team name)... and we went against "Russia" haha very strange name

Face Painting station!

America! Coca-Cola and KFC!
Just a throw back to the 2010 World Cup match against Algeria. U-S-AAAA!

In South Africa at the U.S.-Slovenia match in 2010!



 Happy Birthday America! Now I just wish I could watch a parade or hot dog eating contest and drink some PBR!

No comments:

Post a Comment